-James DeFord, Tampa
Archive for the ‘Instructions for Life’ Category
1. Get outside. When in doubt, when stressed, when feeling cooped up just walk outside. Sit in the grass. Feel the ground beneath you & breathe.
2. Be happy. Just try at least. Sing a happy song. Do a happy dance. Be silly.
3. Find a hoolahoop. Turn on the jams. Move and feel the circular rhythm.
4. Listen to you own better judgment. Do what’s right. Stay out of trouble. Be safe.
5. Write. In a journal. To a friend away from home. Thank yous. The world could use more handwritten thank yous.
6. Give a gift. It’s more fun than getting one. Especially if you bake it or make it from scraps.
7. Daydream. If you can’t remember your dream from the night before, daydream for at least an hour during the day.
-Saige Silverman, Fort Myers
Instructions for Life:
1 ) Try and be the bigger person. I know it’s hard and you don’t want to– but, be nice.
[Games are a waste of time. Unless it's Jenga or Scrabble.]
2 ) Do your best. And leave things a little better than how you found them.
3 ) When in doubt, put some music on.
4 ) Don’t make up someone else’s mind for them. Let them decide because you already
know that you’re good enough.
5 ) Read the signs. Especially on people’s faces and that little bit of hesitation.
6 ) Second chances are usually unnecessary. When someone fails a test, it was a choice.
7 ) Someone once said, “if you don’t know what to do, wait.” I believe in this
8 ) Reality is fluid. Find your own.
9 ) Tell the truth to at least one person. Let it be yourself.
-Gina Moccio, Tampa transplant from London